One way or another, you’ve heard the phrase “health is wealth.” It can have different meanings, but at its essence, it means that being healthy is the most important thing. Without a healthy body, there aren’t many things we can do.
Of course, we try our best—dieting, exercising, and getting regular amounts of sleep (don’t feel guilty if you struggle with this one). But sometimes, staying on top of everything can be challenging when life gets in the way.
So the best way to combat those periods of inconsistency is with the help of multivitamins. They provide your body with what it needs when you can’t. We’ll explain more below.
What are Multivitamins?
The name “multivitamin” can be kind of misleading but in a good way. That’s because it’s a supplement that contains vitamins and minerals, essential nutrients that help your overall well-being.
There are different vitamins, such as A, D, and C, so if you were shopping for a men’s multivitamin, you’d see the various types included. Minerals, on the other hand, are nutrients such as potassium, calcium, and iron.
Why Do People Take Multivitamins?
Eating a well-balanced diet is the ideal method to keep your body working efficiently. That’s where you get most of your vitamins and minerals from. As stated above, life can get in the way, leading to periods where you can’t give your body what it needs.
But that’s why people take multivitamins—they help fill in the gaps for those moments you can’t do so yourself. For example, let’s say you didn’t get enough vitamin C and D during a meal; your men’s multivitamin will take care of that for you. However, it doesn’t mean you should always look for multivitamins to do the work for you. They shouldn’t be treated as a replacement for food.
What Are the Benefits of Taking Multivitamins?
There isn’t a one-size-fits-all option for multivitamins because everyone has different needs. However, some benefits that you’ll gain from taking multivitamins include:
- Improved feelings of energy and alertness: Without the proper vitamins, it can be challenging for your body to perform simple tasks—multivitamins can provide some assistance
- Supporting emotional wellness: Food is converted into energy by B vitamins to keep the nervous system functioning correctly; multivitamins help replenish the supply.
- Aiding cognitive functions: There are some studies suggesting that taking multivitamins can support cognitive functions and improve your overall mood.
How Can You Know Which Multivitamin Is Right for You?
It can be challenging to find the right multivitamin because there are plenty of options to choose from. Some of them are legit, while others can be misleading and cause harm. That’s why there’s a lot that goes into finding the right supplement. So here’s how to make the process easier:
- Consult with your doctor: If you’re dealing with specific issues, a healthcare provider can provide multivitamin recommendations.
- Avoid supplements with special claims: No supplement can “cure” any problem; if you come across any product making this claim, it would be better to stay away.
- Consider formulas geared to your age or gender: Vitamin formulas can be different depending on the age; for example, a senior men’s multivitamin may have more vitamin D, while a women’s vitamin could have extra calcium to meet daily requirements.
- Use credible sources for more information: Scientific studies on how supplements affect the body can be found in the National Institutes of Health PubMed database (NIH)
- Select verified brands: Find high-quality companies that have their product third-party tested; look for a “seal of approval” from NSF International or US Pharmacopeia.
Who Should Take Multivitamins?
Although a well-balanced diet can be beneficial, lifestyle factors can impact the number of vitamins and nutrients a person gets daily. But there’s no harm in taking multivitamins to help support bodily functions—we all need extra help sometimes.
However, you should consider taking multivitamins if:
- Your diet isn’t giving you the necessary nutrients.
- You’re over the age of 50
- Certain health conditions are causing discomfort.
While these are some factors, other individuals take multivitamins based on particular needs they may have. Either way, talk with your doctor if you think multivitamins will positively impact your overall well-being.
Use Multivitamins to Support Your Overall Well-being
It doesn’t matter if you’re looking for a men’s multivitamin or one to aid specific bodily functions—these supplements can help your body in areas it’s lacking. They are meant to fill in gaps when you can’t meet your body’s needs.
However, it’s important to remember that you should not substitute them for food. The best way to get everything your body needs is to have a well-balanced diet.